Sunday, October 3, 2010

Mark of Manhood

The fine line that demarcates boy from man – at which point in life did I actually cross over without looking back? Was it the moment when I changed from shorts to trousers during early schooling days or my virgin facial shave? Could it have been the celebration of turning legal by purchasing liquor or the immense satisfaction at my immunity to viewer discretion regulations? Maybe the wait is on till my first official pay check or the keys to my own house? Endless theories which are bound to strike a familiar chord with most. Or so I thought.

Recently, I chanced upon a rather unsettling documentary about the bullet ant ritual. Bullet ants, also known as ‘paraponera’, originate from the dense jungles of South America and are not your average everyday ants. Their sting is alleged to be similar to a bullet wound and is rated number one by many official pain indexes. A tribe called Satere-Mawe in Brazil captures and drugs these ants before placing them stinger first into gloves. The young men of the tribe must then don these gloves and endure the pain for 10 minutes. Not once but 20 times and without screaming. This traditionally momentous event marks the rite of passage to manhood.

Upon viewing, I was swept over by a plethora of emotions; spellbinding intrigue initially transformed into aversion and disgust towards the ritual procedures before an overwhelming sense of pity mixed with admiration for the young men prevailed. I was astounded at the primitive nature of declaring manhood. In Singapore, National Service (NS) is generally regarded by local culture as the making of a man. However any agony felt in Tekong must surely pale in comparison to that experienced in Amazon by the young guns of the Satere-Mawe. It set me thinking though. Judging one’s maturity indisputably has to go far beyond a physical test of character and endurance. Economic maturity to hold an adult job and handle money, ethical maturity to make responsible decisions and emotional maturity to understand and relate to others are other determinants as well.

There’s also the issue of discrimination leveled at the few boys who are deemed not ‘man’ enough to undertake this ritual. Outcasted from the society at such a tender age, they grow older, losing their self respect and dignity in the process. In extreme cases, death from brutal pain results which leaves one to ponder - is it really worth for the parents’ ordeal in raising the kid for years to be reduced to such a cataclysmic loss by a mere ritual?     

Gazing from a cross cultural lens, the tribe would most likely be amazed at the non-existence of such traditions and a comparatively seamless transition to adulthood in our modern society. They might argue we are far from ‘real’ men and the extravagant, brash lives of many teens nowadays do seem to support their case. ‘No pain, no gain’ , they say which makes one reflect if as indeed we take for granted the many luxuries afforded to us.

As such, I dream of visiting this tribe in a not too distant future. Inter-cultural experiences are best encountered firsthand and I’ll reserve any further judgment till after. After all, the ensuing wave of uncontrollable tears from the bullet ants’ bites may just be that fine line I was  desperately seeking for. 

P.S. I've attached the video for a more complete picture and a better visual experience. Viewer discretion is advised :)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGIZ-zUvotM 

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vinod,

    Your post got me thinking, whether the younger generation should follow traditions because their elders told them to or to change them as we progress into a more modern society?

    Where do these traditions (or other traditions) come from anyway?

    7C's wise; I like the clarity, perhaps conciseness can be improved?

    Wyhow

    Wyhow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through this post with the usual sense of satisfaction I get from reading your writing, Vinod. As always, it was a fun adventure. You take the topic of cultural observation by the horns and twist the assignment down to the ground and turn it on its spindly head. Is this a simple observation, described and dissected? No. You address a broader issue, the rite of manhood, and using images from your own experiences and then the story of this Amazonian tribe, you give us a bit of a philosophical discussion. Well done.

    All I could think when watching the video was "OMG!" Am I envious of the rituals of the Satere-Mawae? No. Do I buy their argument that this is what one needs before embarking on the paths of adulthood? Not exactly. But still....

    My only question here, Vinod, is where are your blogging group members? Intimidated by ants?

    Thanks for another serious effort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vinod,

    Sorry for my really late comment (I'm definitely not scared of ants Brad! I can squash them! Muahahah).

    Anyway.... Despite your longer blog post this time, it's really interesting to continue reading through your post! To imagine that such ritual practice actually exist amazes me. Why do they use ants? Why not actually have some more practical things, such as hunting animals or something?

    I quite agree with Brad on the philosophical angle that we can look at it. Sometime we may not know, but we do have some discrimination between "boys" and "men". But does that really describe manhood? I beg to differ. In fact, some adults act more childish than kids, and some kids act more mature than adults!

    Being outcasted (especially at a young age) can never bring much good. If the tender need of a child is brought to adulthood (in terms of age), the person is likely to feel inferior and what potential loss can that be to society. Oh well... that will be another sociology discussion.

    Anyway, good job! See you around homely guy!

    PS: be prepared for the ants if you ever go there! =P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was really amused by Brad's comments! Well, I've wanted to comment here for some time but finally found some time to. Perhaps having not thought too much in depth, I couldn't elaborate why I had defined financial independence as the mark of maturity. Still thinking...

    First, having watched the bluish hand after its post-gloved pain experience, I was a totally irked by it! The video was a great touch! I now understand why it compelled you to think about maturity so philosophically! :P

    I happened to be reading some material about pain pathways -- my FYP is basically about how pain perception correlates with brain signals-- and was reminded of your post! Something kind of ticked and perhaps there is a deeper scientific explanation (or rather Yanling's perceived logic) to experiencing extreme pain and maturity.

    In some ways, maturity as I may define it, may come from a wealth of life experience, that give rise to behavioural wisdom. As Elgin talked about kids who may be more mature than adults, in the extreme cases, I am reminded of the mature, jaded kids like the rifle-yielding child-soldiers in Somalia or in neighbouring countries, Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge. In similar ways, the pain and anguish of seeing death allowed them to see life in a different light.

    From my readings though, pain experience can be catastrophized by negative thoughts, which will further intensify the pain experience. On the other hand, by confronting pain, it serves to reduce the intensity and probably eliminate it in some cases! Thus, it may be a lesson for the men in the tribe to improve pain thresholds through this ant experience, for the better management of painful challenges in future.

    Kudos if you have read this boring hypothesis that far! Guess somehow the assumption to my argument is that physical pain and emotional pain are related. I hereby disclaim any liability to the accuracy of my suggestion, or any subsequent actions taken to prove it! But please blog about your experience in years to come if you ever do so!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi people as always thanks for the wonderful thought provoking comments!!

    @ Wyhow - I think for your first question it depends entirely on the society itself whether its more forthcoming to accept change and adapt itself. Probably primitive societies may not take too easily to such a change. As to where they came from, I don't know man. People's Great great great grandfathers and grandmothers? Will try to be more concise in the next post!

    @ Brad - loving the bullfighter analogy though it was far from my original intention. This was something that really struck me almost instantaneously and hence the outpouring of philosophical feelings. Not too sure whether its a good thing haha. As for my blogging members, i doubt intimidation of ants is the true reason. Something far more painful and terrifying. Projects, assignments, tutorials, webcasts, lectures, presentations and the like may be at play here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ homely Elgin - I like your point about some kids being more mature than adults likewise vice versa for childishness. Certainly true which really begs the question, when or what determines maturity? why ants? I really don't know. just some tradition that followed through the ages I guess. And please no more philosophy and sociology from me I promise haha.

    @ Yanling - I used to think financial maturity so we're on the same boat there but yea I realise it may not be the only factor. Totally agree with your point on the child soldiers and the Khmer Rouge regimen. Sometimes pain truly does allow one to appreciate life from another side so it may not be totally physical after all. The consequence may be a more deeply rooted psychological kind but that is also dependent on the individual. Some may respond more negatively than others. And your hypothesis is also welcome anytime. Its really as interesting and refreshing as your blog posts are! No liability charges too haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi vinod,

    Boys to men. Interesting read! I like it when you compared Satere-Mawae's "man making" culture to Singapore's version of NS.

    I really wonder after reading your post, is manhood associated with pain? Does it mean that chopping off my arm makes me a "man-er" man than others? Haha. Honestly, I am disgusted by the Satere-Mawae's culture. Still, I salute those boys who have to go through such rituals.

    Being a 'man' certainly takes more than just going through physical pain. :)

    Cheers,
    AlvinThen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to say that this http://123essay.org/essaytigers-com-review/ article really convinced me, you give me best information!

    ReplyDelete