Friday, November 5, 2010

Looking back, I wish...

Preparation
Preparation wise, I felt the team focused far more on the written proposal than the presentation itself which really did not justify the greater mark allocation to the latter component. Before we knew it, the countdown had begun to D-Day which was in a week. That was as far as negatives went. Having realised we had to shift through the gears and fast, we got down to serious work.

Mental preparation was key. Personally, I was motivated firstly by the Ken Robinson video that was showed during class on October 25th. Watching and subsequently analysing his presentation certainly got me pumped up and inspired. The night before our presentation was also decisive when Alicia messaged us saying that we had done well for the proposal. That certainly eased the pressure and did wonders for my confidence level. It seemed straight forward enough. We had the content. All we had to do was to back it up with our delivery.

In between, the rehearsals helped a great deal as we were able to highlight the strengths and weaknesses of each other’s presentation and correct them. For my part, I was advised by my team members to shorten my speech and also to refrain from descriptive language. They wanted me to adopt a simpler and ‘matter of fact’ approach to presenting my part, which would have a greater effect on the audience within such a limited time. It was undoubtedly positive advice and I adjusted my speech accordingly.

Delivery
For this oral presentation, I was solely focused on improving my peer teaching experience. Basis for comparison may have been limited in that peer teaching was much more informal, had a larger scope for humour, a longer time limit and was also aimed at just imparting information related to a subject matter. The proposal in short had to be professional at the same time persuasive enough, a challenge in itself.

From peer teaching, some potential areas for improvement included a tendency to look at the slides too often, being too serious and speaking too fast at times. I took these suggestions on board and made a conscious attempt to correct them. Reviewing the video, I realise that I did not refer back to the slides much which in turn enabled me to connect better with the audience by maintaining more meaningful eye contact (I hope!). I still did speak too fast on occasions, which was due to an intention to finish what I had planned to say. This remains a sore thumb and I guess the only way out is to cut down on content. Expressions wise, though I tried to project a more cheerful image especially when narrating the story of Warren Buffet, I felt that I was a tad too grim looking. (need a little feedback here :))

Audio-Visuals
We went along the idea of Prezi as opposed to the conventional approach of powerpoint slides which were too predictable and not interactive. With Prezi, we could basically add a 3 dimensional mode to our presentations with transitions and also there was more room for capturing the attention of the audience since it was more customised. Its analogous to PC (Powerpoint) vs Mac(Prezi) jk!

2 videos were incorporated into our presentation to better highlight the situation. This definitely worked a treat; in particular Alicia’s masterpiece on several newspaper headlines and our survey results. It was more impactful than us plainly saying that there was a problem which called for rectifying.

We also left no stone unturned with regards to the audio aspect. I was deeply disappointed that the audio system present in class did not work to our favour during my peer teaching session when I tried to replay the interview videos. Determined not to encounter a repeat situation, Alvin came up with a brilliant idea to bring our own speakers to the class. The speakers functioned as expected without any glitches so the team was naturally pleased with that.

However one drawback was the poor video quality of the projector which led to our slides repeatedly changing yellow in colour. This was a distraction even to me whilst I wasn’t presenting. Fortunately though, none of our speakers were put off by that and carried on with their speeches as per normal.

In all, the oral presentation was just another learning curve of ES2007S, from which I’ll take many positives out and continually try to eradicate the flaws.

After all...
"There are always three speeches, for every one you actually gave. The one you practiced, the one you gave, and the one you wish you gave."
-- Dale Carnegie  

11 comments:

  1. Hey Vinod, Thanks for this highly detailed reflection and your hard work and fine contributions throughout the project. In fact, I appreciate your effort on all the OP fronts, especially the way you inspired your teammates to "leave no sone unturned" and how you built on the learning from the peer teaching lesson.

    Best of luck on all future presentation experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,Vinod

    I am very impressed by your presentation. I think all of you are quite calm and professional. The most surprising thing to me is that all of you speak so fluently and clearly. Your Group is just awesome!!

    I think regards to the limited time problem, I think we also face it in the peer teaching session. At that time, we also let you cut down your content. I think the balance between content and time is a very challenging problem. A full content surely can deliver more information to the audience, however, sometimes, it drives us to speak fast. What is more, I think there is a limitation of how much information the audience can take away during a presentation, just like the 'three take away' points Brad mentioned in class. Too much details can make the audience lost of what is the most important point. This may serve us as a 'knife' when we needs to cut down the content.

    I think you are a good presenter and an active team player. It is a great experience to work with you during the peer teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vinod!

    I love your Carnegie quote. I really, really do. It succinctly summarizes the OP experience...and probably every other speech we're going to give in future.

    Your team's performance was truly impressive that day. As I mentioned to many people, following your presentation, Alibaba really set a very high standard to follow.

    Individually, you were a real asset to your team. You spoke with such confidence and conviction, which wasn't surprising actually, you really are the sort who can sell ice to eskimos. Mainly because you're such an engaging speaker, one who truly connects with his audience, who makes them sit up and really listen.

    You carried yourself well, delivering your material with excellent diction and clarity. Needless to say your eye-contact was fantastic and I found your tone solid and convincing. Not in the least inappropriate or "too serious", likewise with regard to being "grim-looking"; after all, this was suppose to be a business proposal. The confidence was good.(:

    It all, it was a very good presentation with so many plus points...you'd make a fantastic ELECTROPHLIE (: Apologies for the weak humor. But yes, you delivered very well. I didn't even realize you were looking back at your slides frequently. I guess we're always the harshest critics of our own performances huh. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vinod. You have quite little comments as compared to used to whenever i drop by. Don't be sad, here is my homely comment! (Haha.. i know the joke has become stale..) It's a good way to improve oneself by learning from previous experience, and I think you did improve even better. More effective than last time. good job! All the best putting your "gift of the gab" to good use wherever you go and whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Brad,

    Thanks for those comments. You had an indirect part to play in rallying us together and showing us THAT video to boost our spirits and put us in a position to deliver the best possible speech. Appreciate it very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi May,

    Thanks for those encouraging comments once again. Yeap that quote did spark off similar feelings in me too. It was to the point and summarised in essence how all presentations go. The only thing you could do is to improve on them after each experience. In any case I always felt it was the team effort that elevated my presentation to match your expectations. Each of us had a part to play in one other's speeches and for this I must once again direct all compliments to every single member of Alibaba. As for being the harshest critic of yourself, I couldn't agree with it more. Just that sometimes we have to pause and know what is good about ourselves too, when it gets a little too demoralising :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Guo Chen,

    It was indeed a pleasure to work alongside you as well during our peer teaching which I must make a dedication post on. Soon. I really learnt alot from you especially with regards to sifting through the main contents of your speech and discarding the unnecessary. You also tend to feel alot more confident when doing so and I recognised that at once. I did omit out alot more from my actual speech. The 3 takeaway points have certainly resonated well with me and I'll be sure to keep them in mind for the following presentations. Thank you once again :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Elgin,

    Indeed. Very homely of you to stop by. Appreciate your comments as always and about the gift of gab it's been far too often overplayed. Jut a random comment by some passer-by and I have yet to master the art. Will get there one day though :P. All the best with your future presentations too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every man wants to go back to its proper streets. Manoos to understand the reason behind the move. Forget the old dirt road to return to the enthusiasm of the new head of the performance will be. Only then can return to its proper place, a manoos. dissertation writing service is the best writing service provide and I believe that it'll help us as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. T-rex's Titanium Spires - Titanium's Spires | TITanium
    Titanium titanium bikes for sale spires are rated by T-R on a daily basis. 2016 ford fusion energi titanium Read our review to learn more about titanium chloride T-R performance and design techniques titanium spork for the titanium pot T-R.

    ReplyDelete